Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pull up, pull up!



I keep telling myself that I aint gonna do this anymore, that no woman in her right fricking mind would drag over a hundred pounds of tools, spares, and luggage through airports while wearing heels and a skirt. Then the next trip comes up and I have the chance to me for a few hours, and off I go!
I’ve never made it a secret that my voice does me no favors, so you wont be surprised to hear that when the parking shuttle bus driver asked the entire bus load of people which airlines they needed, I kept quiet at first, hoping that someone else would speak up and call out my airline so that I wouldn’t have to. Nope, apparently I was the only one on the bus taking American Airlines, so yeah, I had to yell it rather loudly. I'd swear that every head on the bus turned my way . . .
If you fly often enough, at some point you will hear the pilots going through their pre-flight checks. Somewhere in this process, you will often hear a artificial voice saying “Pull up . . . Pull up!” Presumably this is testing some sort of "you are about to crash into the ground and die" warning system. Anyway, as I was boarding the teeny tiny plane from DFW to Peoria IL the pilots were both standing at the door greeting passengers, and shortly after I walked by them I hear one of them laughingly tell the other “Pull up, pull up!”  I couldn’t decide if I should laugh or be offended. . .

10 comments:

  1. I would love to do this just one time. But, I may get hooked on the fun like you have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a serious danger. The first time I did this, I was such a nervous wreck that I swore I'd never do it again. (I think there is probably a blog post in here somewhere about it).
      Yeah, clearly I changed my mind. . .

      Delete
    2. Hi Kim! Great story as usual! I'll share one of mine if I may !
      Back in Thailand .. some years ago during the floods in BKK I donated some rice to the appeal in Kanchnaburi. I arrived at the police station with 5 x 50 kilo bags of rice .. In heels I carried one up the stairs .. A cop came running out and took it off me .. and finished up on the ground with it .. He had not expected it to be so heavy! I carried another in .. and several others cops came out, two to each bag!!
      Ha Ha!

      Delete
    3. Kim - And that's why I plan to have sessions with a speech therapist in NYC. I want a loud enough feminine voice (albeit in the range both males and females have) to stay out of trouble.... I have CDs from another voice therapist, but I don't use them enough....

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine what they could find to say about you that's offensive so I'll go with the former: laugh. And be proud of the fun attention. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The voice therapy CDs help, but I know what you mean. Since your travels gave me much of the strength I needed in my travels, you know you always have my support. There is another phrase that comes in handy. "Cary on smartly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The voice therapy CDs help, but I know what you mean. Since your travels gave me much of the strength I needed in my travels, you know you always have my support. There is another phrase that comes in handy. "Cary on smartly."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a give away for me all the time
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I’ve never been out and about Fem, my voice was never put to the test. I remember when I was living at home and either me or my mum went to the phone, the caller usually after the ‘Hello’ our end made the mistake and asked for the other!
    I’m not sure if I holds true today, maybe I’ll make a recording of myself and play it to a total stranger and see what they say. Probably get a funny look instead of a reply, but it’s worth the try..

    Kim, I could go through all you posts and pick out your complaining about lugging all that equipment around the US in heels. We both know there’s a lot of them!
    I don’t think your stop until you break an ankle, but even then I can see you in a plaster cast and a heel on the other foot running for your plane.
    Girl are you secretly doing long range Mary Jane testing for the industry?
    If so, how about an interim report.
    Love Abi

    ReplyDelete